Monday, October 12, 2015

Should bike helmets be compulsory? Lessons from Seattle and Amsterdam

In Seattle, helmets have been mandatory for 12 years – but many cycling advocates argue such laws discourage cycling while doing nothing to improve road safety. Should cyclists in London be fined if they don’t wear a helmet?

Every day, Elizabeth Kiker cycles to her work through the streets of Seattle. As the executive director of a big bicycle club, she wants to show people that you don’t need fancy gear to ride a bike – so she rides in her skirt and office shoes. But she does wear a helmet. If she didn’t, she would risk a $102 (£67) fine.

Seattle is one of the few big cities in the world where cyclists of all ages are legally required to wear a helmet. “There’s an interesting conversation going on about this, because it could dissuade people from cycling,” says Kiker. “And yet, it is safer if you fall. I once slipped with my bike and fell on my helmet and I was glad I was wearing it.”

Cycling without a helmet is something I take for granted, I never give it any thought

It was feared the helmet law would hurt our new bike share programme, but it hasn’t

Related: The most cycle-friendly cities in the world – your pictures and stories

Continue reading...

via Bike blog | The Guardian http://ift.tt/1GDOGwu

No comments:

Post a Comment