Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Can you solve it? Four bookish brainteasers

Word up!

Hello guzzlers,

I’ve now been writing this puzzle blog for more than a year, and it’s been great fun. Today I have news! I have compiled a book of my favourite puzzles. Can You Solve My Problems? A Casebook of Ingenious, Perplexing and Totally Satisfying Puzzles will be out in November. It contains 125 puzzles along with historical and mathematical background. I’ve unearthed some hidden gems for you, I promise, and almost none of them has been featured on this blog before.

1) Volumes I, II and III of a dictionary are stacked vertically side by side on a shelf, in that order and with spines visible in the normal way. The thickness of the pages in each volume is 6cm, and the thickness of the cover of each volume is 5mm.

What is the horizontal distance from the first page of Volume I to the final page of Volume III?

2) Count upwards from ZERO thinking about the letters used in the names of numbers. The letter F appears for the first time in FOUR. The letter A first appears in ONE HUNDRED AND ONE.

Keep on counting, noting the first appearance of each letter in the names of numbers. What is the final letter that you will note down? In other words, when counting upwards, what is the final letter to appear in the name of a number?

3) The following statement is correct

< F is the first and the seventh letter of this sentence.>

4) Reorganise the letters of READING SLOW to form a single word.

Continue reading...

via Alex Bellos's Monday puzzle http://ift.tt/2coddNI

No comments:

Post a Comment